2 aggressive boldness or unmitigated effrontery; "he had the audacity to question my decision" [syn: audaciousness]
- Finnish: uhkarohkeus, julkeus
- Hungarian: vakmerőség
- Hungarian: rettenthetetlenség, bátorság
Audacity is a digital audio editor application. Audacity is cross-platform, using the wxWidgets software library to provide a similar graphical user interface on several different operating systems. It is currently used in the OCR National Level 2 ICT course for the sound creation unit.
Audacity was created by Dominic Mazzoni while he was a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon University. Dominic Mazzoni now works at Google, but is still the main developer and maintainer of Audacity, with help from many others around the world.
The latest stable release of Audacity is 1.2.6, released on 15 November 2006. As of May 13, 2008, it was the 9th most popular download from SourceForge.net, with over 40 million downloads. Audacity won the SourceForge.net 2007 Community Choice Award for Best Project for Multimedia. Audacity is free software and is licensed under the GNU General Public License version two, but may update to GPLv3 after version 1.4.0.
FeaturesSome of Audacity's features include:
- Importing and exporting WAV, AIFF, MP3 (via the LAME encoder, downloaded separately), Ogg Vorbis, all file formats supported by libsndfile library
- Version 1.3.2 also supports Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
- Recording and playing sounds
- Editing via Cut, Copy, Paste (with unlimited Undo)
- Multi-track mixing
- A large array of digital effects and plug-ins. Additional effects can be written with Nyquist
- Amplitude envelope editing
- Noise removal
- Support for multi-channel modes with sampling rates up to 96 kHz with 24 bits per sample
- The ability to make precise adjustments to the audio's speed, while maintaining pitch, in order to synchronize it with video, run for the right length of time, etc.
- Converting cassette tapes or records into digital tracks by automatically splitting one wav (or the other supported types) track into multiple tracks based on silences in the track and the export multiple option.
- Multi-platform: works on Windows, Mac OS X, and Unix-like systems (including GNU/Linux and BSD) amongst others.
- The ability to change the audio's pitch.
Audacity can also be used for post-processing of all types of audio, including podcasts. It can be used for finishing podcasts by adding effects such as normalization, trimming, and fading in and out.
In addition to English language help, the ZIP file of the downloadable Audacity software program includes help files for Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Welsh in its user interface. A partial Bengali help file is also included.
The Audacity website also provides tutorials in languages other than English.
audacity in Catalan: Audacity
audacity in Czech: Audacity
audacity in Danish: Audacity
audacity in German: Audacity
audacity in Spanish: Audacity
audacity in Basque: Audacity
audacity in French: Audacity
audacity in Korean: Audacity
audacity in Italian: Audacity
audacity in Hungarian: Audacity
audacity in Dutch: Audacity
audacity in Japanese: Audacity
audacity in Norwegian: Audacity
audacity in Norwegian Nynorsk: Audacity
audacity in Polish: Audacity
audacity in Portuguese: Audacity
audacity in Russian: Audacity
audacity in Sicilian: Audacity
audacity in Slovak: Audacity
audacity in Finnish: Audacity
audacity in Swedish: Audacity
audacity in Thai: Audacity
audacity in Turkish: Audacity
audacity in Ukrainian: Audacity
audacity in Chinese: Audacity
adventuresomeness, adventurousness, arrogance, assurance, audaciousness, balls, bold front, boldness, brash bearing, brashness, brass, brassiness, bravado, bravura, brazenness, brinkmanship, bumptiousness, cheek, cheekiness, cockiness, contempt, contemptuousness, contumely, courage, courage fou, courting disaster, daredevilry, daredeviltry, daring, daringness, defial, defiance, defying, derision, derring-do, despite, disdain, disregard, effrontery, enterprise, face, fire-eating, flirting with death, foolhardiness, forwardness, gall, going for broke, hardihood, hardiness, harebrainedness, hubris, impertinence, impudence, insolence, mettle, nerve, obtrusiveness, overboldness, overweening, overweeningness, pertness, playing with fire, presumption, presumptuousness, procacity, pushiness, resolution, sauciness, spirit, uppishness, uppityness, venturesomeness, venturousness